The University of Pretoria (UP) is one the leading higher institutions in South Africa and in Africa as a whole.
As a public research university, UP has a strong record for academic excellence, qualitative learning and international impact. As a result, UP has ranked number one in South Africa and Africa in uniRank’s list of the top universities on the continent out of over 300 schools.
Students in UP are built to be outstanding, creative, purpose driven, socially impactful and ready to make a difference in their World.
Asides being the largest contact university in South Africa, UP is known for an exceptional quality of teaching both in the classroom and online, thereby equipping graduates to become change makers in their fields.
The University of Pretoria Undergraduate Program
At UP, we have a variety of courses in various fields of human endeavours which suit your interests, goals, dreams, aspirations and personality.
We offer a learning experience in a state of the art facility that equips you for great impact in the world outside the university. We also have our virtual campus which you can explore to gain enriching knowledge in your field of interest.
There are over 120 programs spread across faculties which you can explore.
You can click here to find out more.
The University of Pretoria Postgraduate Program
UP stands out as one of the best of research institutions in Africa in terms of laboratories, libraries and practical sites. This places this noble institution as a great option for your undergraduate program.
We also offer a range of academic and other support to ease your postgraduate journey so that you can make a difference with your knowledge and skills.
We are passionate about your growth and career success. At UP, you will be taught to think big, creatively and out of the box!
Over 900 programmes are open to you to explore. You can click here to find out more.
For Up online Programmes, check here.
University of Pretoria Scholarships
The University of Pretoria offers an opportunity for interested and qualified African students to pursue a postgraduate degree in South Africa on scholarship.
The scholarship funds your tuition, accommodation, and official programme activities of successful candidates.
Candidates are taken on an intensive course is designed to last for a year where 25-30 exceptional individuals spend six months in Pretoria and six months at one of the 12 partner universities all over Africa.
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
To qualify for the University of Pretoria Scholarship, you must:
- Be a citizen of an African country.
- Be in possession of the first degree in Law (LLB, licence en droit or licenciatura em direito) or an Honours degree relevant to human rights and democratisation.
Additional Criteria for Selection:
- A demonstrated professional, academic and personal interest in and commitment to human rights and democratisation in Africa.
- An indication that the applicant would utilise the qualification in his or her future career, preferably in his or her country of origin (the ‘multiplier effect’).
- Equitable geographic representation(in the sense that an overrepresentation of students from a particular African country will be avoided).
- Gender representation (in the sense that an equitable balance between women and men is sought).
- Equitable representation of persons from vulnerable communities (such as persons with disabilities, persons belonging to indigenous communities and LGBTI persons).
Scholarship Duration and Reward
About 30 students are selected for this scholarship per year.
The scholarship is expected to fully fund at least tuition, accommodation and official programme activities of qualified citizens of Africa.
All applicants must be ready to submit the following documents:
- Previous academic records/transcripts
- Previous degree certificate(s)
- Copy of bio-data page of passport
- A good quality photograph of yourself
- For applicants who did not obtain their qualifications in English: TOEFL, SAT1 or IELTS Test certificate.
How to Apply
- Login to University of Pretoria Scholarship Portal
- Get the Application form from the portal
- Carefully supply all required information.
- Submit and wait for feedback.
Mode of Selection
The LLM Programme Coordinator/Manager and the Academic Coordinator of the programme receives All complete applications, in a particular year, processes and identifies a number of eligible candidates three times the available positions.
Each applicant is then contacted and required to write an essay within a restricted period (for example, 24 hours) after the release of the essay topic.
The mode of selection may also be requiring the applicant to make a video or audio presentations or be interviewed.
A final selection is made by the full Admissions Committee, consisting of the Chair of the Council of Directors of the LLM/MPhil Programme (if available), the Director of the Centre for Human Rights, the Assistant Director of the Centre for Human Rights, the LLM/MPhil Programme Coordinator/Manager and the Academic Coordinator of the HRDA Programme.
All successful applicants will be notified by 30 September 2022.
The closing date to apply for this scholarship is July 31, 2022.
Top 5 Ongoing Scholarship for Nigerian Students. Apply now!
Click here for an exciting virtual tour on the University of Tokyo, Japan.