Home Immigration Migrate to United States of America: Salient Information about Immigrant Visas and...

Migrate to United States of America: Salient Information about Immigrant Visas and Non-Immigrant Visas

The United States of America continues to be a beacon for individuals seeking new opportunities, a diverse culture, and a high standard of living. Whether you’re looking to permanently relocate or temporarily visit for work, education, or leisure, understanding the intricacies of immigrant and non-immigrant visas is crucial. Navigating the visa process can be complex, but with the right information, it becomes more manageable. In this article, we’ll delve into the essential details surrounding immigrant and non-immigrant visas for the United States, along with answers to five frequently asked questions.

Type of Visa in The United States of America:

Immigrant Visas:

Immigrant visas, commonly known as green cards, grant foreign nationals the right to live and work permanently in the United States. These visas are typically obtained through family sponsorship, employment opportunities, or humanitarian programs. Here are some key points to consider:

1. Family-Based Immigration:

Individuals with close family members who are U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents may be eligible for family-sponsored immigrant visas. These include spouses, parents, children, and siblings.

2. Employment-Based Immigration:

The United States offers various employment-based immigrant visas for individuals with specific skills, education, or investment capital. These visas are categorized into preference categories based on priority levels and availability.

3. Diversity Visa Lottery:

The Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, also known as the DV lottery, provides a limited number of visas each year through a random selection process. This program aims to diversify the immigrant population by granting visas to individuals from countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States.

4. Refugee and Asylee Immigration:

Refugees and asylees fleeing persecution or violence in their home countries may be eligible for refugee or asylum status, leading to permanent residency in the United States.

5. Special Immigrant Visas:

Certain individuals, such as religious workers, special immigrant juveniles, and Afghan or Iraqi translators, may qualify for special immigrant visas based on specific criteria.

Non-Immigrant Visas:

Non-immigrant visas are temporary visas granted to individuals who wish to enter the United States for a specific purpose and duration. These visas are typically issued for tourism, business, study, or temporary work assignments. Here are the main categories:

1. Tourist and Business Visas (B-1/B-2):

The B-1 visa is for business travelers, while the B-2 visa is for tourists. These visas allow individuals to visit the United States for short-term purposes, such as attending conferences, tourism, or medical treatment.

2. Student Visas (F-1/M-1):

Foreign students pursuing academic or vocational studies in the United States are required to obtain either an F-1 visa (for academic programs) or an M-1 visa (for vocational programs).

3. Exchange Visitor Visas (J-1):

The J-1 visa is for individuals participating in approved exchange visitor programs, including au pairs, interns, scholars, and participants in cultural exchange programs.

4. Temporary Work Visas:

Various temporary work visas are available for individuals with specific skills or employment opportunities in the United States. These include the H-1B visa for skilled workers, the L-1 visa for intracompany transfers, and the O-1 visa for individuals with extraordinary abilities.

5. Investor Visas (E-1/E-2):

The E-1 visa is for treaty traders engaged in substantial trade between their home country and the United States, while the E-2 visa is for investors who have made a substantial investment in a U.S. business.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How long does it take to obtain a green card through family sponsorship?

The processing time for family-sponsored green cards varies depending on factors such as the type of relationship, the applicant’s country of origin, and the current backlog of applications. On average, the process can take anywhere from several months to several years.

Can I work in the United States while on a tourist visa?

No, individuals on tourist visas (B-1/B-2) are not allowed to engage in any form of employment or business activities in the United States. These visas are strictly for tourism, visiting family or friends, or attending business meetings or conferences.

What are the eligibility criteria for the Diversity Visa Lottery?

To be eligible for the Diversity Visa Lottery, applicants must be natives of countries with low rates of immigration to the United States, have at least a high school education or equivalent, and meet other requirements outlined by the U.S. Department of State.

Is there an age limit for student visas?

There is no specific age limit for student visas (F-1/M-1). However, applicants must demonstrate that they have been accepted to a recognized educational institution in the United States, have sufficient funds to cover their expenses, and intend to return to their home country upon completion of their studies.

Can I apply for a green card while on a temporary work visa?

In some cases, individuals on temporary work visas may be eligible to apply for a green card through employment-based immigration. However, the process can be complex and may require sponsorship from an employer or meeting specific eligibility criteria outlined by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Related Article: Truck Driver Jobs in USA With American Visa Sponsorship


Understanding the nuances of immigrant and non-immigrant visas is essential for individuals considering migration to the United States. Whether you’re seeking permanent residency or temporary stay, exploring the available visa options and seeking professional guidance can help streamline the immigration process and maximize your chances of success.

Leave a Reply